Composition practice in my personal work

Continuing on from my last blog i've been working on the composition of my paintings. Composition is fundamental in our work for a image to read properly. Just before we broke up for Christmas term we had a lecture on composition and techniques which was really useful for these studies.  I'm not going to be cataloging every paint i do, just the ones which are relevant to what im discussing in my blog.


This is just under a  hour long digital painting. I wanted to share this because it attempts to use some of the composition techniques i have been looking into. The focal point of this image is the tower under attack, the foreground frames the focal point as does the rising smoke and dust. The planes at the top draw your eye back down into the image?  There is story and action in this image which helps bring your interest into the scene? 



This next image is another environment practice where i've tried to frame the image again with the foreground's crumbling statues and tree on the left hand side. The image is canted on a "dutch angle" this i hoped would add some interest to the image and possibly accentuate the dilapidation of the ruins? Again this paint took under a hour which is the aim for my practices at the moment. We have been told repeatedly this year that speed is key to our work, so i keep myself conscious of how long my work takes to completion.